Fresh fruit happens to be in season where I live and I always end up with a lot of it in the house – this fruit crisp recipe is inspired by the one my mom made when I was a kid.
Fruit crisp is a great way to use up any fruit you happen to have around. The one pictured here is a mixture of plums, pears, and nectarines that I found were getting too ripe. When I was a kid my favorite was always blueberry crisp – and served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
Growing up in Michigan there was always an abundance of all kinds of fruit as they came into season. My mom often made this simple recipe to turn any kind of fruit she had on hand into an amazing dessert! (Pictured I used plums, peaches, and nectarines!)
- 4 c fruit chopped into chunks
- 1 c flour
- 3/4 c oatmeal
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c butter, softened
- 1 c sugar
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 c water
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Mix together flour, oatmeal, brown sugar, and butter, press into bottom of 9x13' lightly greased baking dish or 12" ramekin - save some of the mixture out to sprinkle on top
- In a 2.5 quart saucepan mix together sugar, cornstarch, water, and vanilla - cook over low heat until clear and thick.
- Add fruit into saucepan and gently mix
- Spread fruit mixture evenly in baking dish - top by sprinkling evenly with reserved dry mixture
- Bake at 350 until brown (about 60 minutes)
- Let cool completely before slicing
Cook the sugar mixture while you are chopping the fruit - it takes quite a while for the sugar to become clear.
A favorite way to serve this dessert is with a scoop of vanilla ice cream!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 275Total Fat: 8gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 50gFiber: 2gSugar: 37gProtein: 2g
Nutrition information is estimated and isn't always accurate.
Do no copy or distribute this recipe – but please share the link with all your friends! Click the green Print Friendly button to print or save as a PDF for your own use.
2 comments on “Fruit Crisp”Add yours →
Comments are closed. You can not add new comments.
I have a question! If I don’t have fresh fruit can I use fruit can? This recipe is so easy and definitely something to impress everyone on any reunion! I’m glad you share this childhood memory!
Yes but drain it – you can also use frozen fruit as long as it’s thawed completely!