This easy chicken enchilada casserole is perfect to feed a family, have lots of leftovers, or to take to a potluck.
I have found that the key to making this the best it can be (and to be sure that it doesn’t have any ingredients that I need to avoid like gluten) is for me to use fresh homemade salsa – I have an easy recipe right here:
This super easy recipe has layers and layers of all my favorite flavors - I love how I substitute different ingredients that I have on hand too!
- 5 cups salsa (I make my own - link to my recipe below!)
- 8 corn tortillas cut in half
- 15 oz refried beans
- 3 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 16 oz sour cream
- 3 c mexican style shredded cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 F (190 C) - lightly grease 9x13 baking dish
- Salt and pepper chicken breasts, cook for ten minutes in pan over medium heat, flip and cook ten minutes more, chop into small pieces and put into large mixing bowl
- Thoroughly mix one cup of salsa into the chicken
- Put enough salsa in bottom of baking dish to spread a thin layer
- Place 8 tortilla halves evenly, overlap slightly if necessary, spread half the refried beans, spread half the remaining salsa, then half the sour cream, then half the shredded cheese
- Repeat step 5 one more time using all the remaining ingredients
- Bake for 30 minutes until bubbly and the cheese is melted and has started to brown
- Let stand for 10 minutes before serving
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 711Total Fat: 33gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 220mgSodium: 1781mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 7gSugar: 9gProtein: 70g
Nutrition information is estimated and isn't always accurate.
Do no copy or distribute this recipe – but please share the link with all your friends! Click the green Print Friendly button to print or save as a PDF for your own use.